Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Healing Power of Children

I was down most of this past week with an infected bite that quickly turned systemic causing 102 fevers, headache, nausea and malaise. I am finally getting my energy back with the help of my third antibiotic. The first one didn't work, the second one I had an allergic reaction to (first allergy to medicine in my life). I am not a very good patient, but there is nothing like a few days in bed to make one aware of how wonderful everyday good health is. It also serves as a good gratitude test........what else do I take for granted each day that I need to be more consciously grateful for?

I had numerous adults around me both in Lusaka and here in Macha who were very gracious in caring for me, but in reviewing the week, it was children who kept the spark of joy, awe and gratitude alive for me in various ways.

There have been numerous kids stopping by the house to ask to pick some guavas from the tree out front. They are very polite, some even come inside and visit before getting around to the heart of the matter. One afternoon Oswald and Humphrey two 6th graders came in and played a game of UNO with me, glanced through some books, taught me a little Tonga and just visited. I gave them a few cookies I had on hand.

On Friday, just my second partial day back at work, Miriam, the nursing officer and myself ran over to theater to talk to Dr. Spurrier about my schedule for next week. There was a skinny little boy (perhaps 5) laying alone on a gurney with a sheet covering the lower half of him. One leg was laying flat the other with knee bent and foot flat on the mattress. He was obviously in pain, but not crying just moaning a bit and moving his head back and forth and taking deep breaths. It was as if we weren't even there because the pain was too distracting. Dr. Spurrier said his leg was full of pus. He was waiting all alone, parents/family were probably outside, but not allowed in with him. My heart went out to him.


On Saturday I was in the hospital to find a couple friends. The three of us (myself, a Canadian and a Scott) were speaking English to each other when I noticed two boys sitting on the bed behind us just giggling away with their eyes on us. I noticed they both had bandages on and so were patients. They may have been about 10 and 12. When I looked again, I noticed that the older boy's bandage was covering a partially amputated foot. Here he is, most likely in pain, having lost part of a foot, and yet he was finding such joy in listening to us talk.

A bit later as I was walking home with Fiona, she told me a heartbreaking story of a young girl brought in last weekend who was very sick with hiv. Apparently she was a double orphan and staying with extended family.  These children are often taken in but neglected.  Neighbors had found her and brought her in not knowing how long she had been sick. I don't know the details, but this little girl died in just a few days. Her guardians had apparently not been bringing her in for her meds and some secondary infection killed her. Her suffering has ended.

Today is Sunday. This afternoon there was a "popcorn party" in my backyard. This is an informal Sunday school class for kids in the neighborhood. Two of the youth from the church work with these kids (ages 3-10). The kids arrived before the adults and were hanging out on my back porch. Eventually they got up the courage to knock and I went and talked with them. Once their teachers arrived, class began. I had quite a bit of fun singing along with their songs. There was even one silly one where each verse you added some awkward positioning of your body. The last verse we had thumbs up, elbows out, feet apart, knees bent, head to one side, tongue out and we were turning around! They got quite a laugh out of watching me do it also. They continued on with quoting Bible verses and then a Bible story/lesson and then we all got koolaid and popcorn.  They all waited patiently in line with their bags and plastic bottle to be filled.

So these are some of the kids who touched my life in some way this week. I pray for them all that their lives may be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment