Sunday, January 20, 2013

The New Year

Blessings on your new year!  For some, including a few dear friends of mine back home, this year has already brought challenges in the form of physical illness or injury. Whatever joys and challenges may come your way, may you all have the grace, strength and support to face them head on.

My 2012 was filled with more challenges than I expected, many of which I did not share in my blog. However, things are shifting and 2013 is already feeling more sustainable and satisfying especially in regards to my work. At the beginning of each year, the hospital shuffles staff. Though it is sad to see some co-workers leave, I'm excited that my friend Mrs. Bakasa (who I work closely with on PMTCT monthly and quarterly statistics) will be returning to the in-charge position in MCH. She was previously in charge for 6 years, then was pulled to Maternity this past year. She is organized, hard working and committed to the patients. Her presence in MCH will allow me to focus more in ART clinic and out in the villages.  I have had recent good conversations with my supervisor and other higher ups regarding my plans for the year in regards to some changes in my work.

I also recently moved out of temporary housing and into what should be my home for the rest of my time here. I am still acquiring furniture and figuring out the best place for things, but it feels like home already. I'm working on getting screens built for all my windows. So far only the bedroom ones are finished, so I usually close the rest of my windows when I am not home, and at night when the lights bring in the insects.

It is rainy season which adds a different element to life. It is hard to dry clothes. Heavy rains flood rivers and keep people at home. The dirt roads get rutted and turn into small lakes in places. Carrying an umbrella becomes a must. Learning which paths are low lying or engulfed in tall grass is important. So far, I have not fallen in the mud, but I did buy a pair of rubber boots in town the other day to make walking to work less stressful.

I've been enjoying sweet corn and green beans from the garden and bananas from the yard, but in general it is a rough season for garden vegetable growing. Everyone is busy tending their maize fields. My neighbor has a plot which is towering over my head already. Sweet potatoes are also being planted here and there. The school year started this past week, so the students are getting back into their routines.

I miss the snow more than I thought I would. If you have some where you are, romp about a bit in it for me!

I include some random pictures of life in Zambia; the bus station in Lusaka, hospital laundry drying on the line and some of our nursing students prepared to go out to the village for outreach.

No comments:

Post a Comment