Saturday, October 26, 2013

Beautiful Birds

Kori Bustard
Hello everyone! Thanks for being patient with me. I know it has been some time since I have posted. My parents came for a visit in September and we had a lovely time. They brought along a new camera for me with much more zoom power. I would like to share with you a few bird shots from my time with them in Chobe National Park just over the border in Botswana and several from my trip this past week to South Luangwa National Park here in Zambia. I hope I can figure out how to label them. Please enjoy (even those of you who aren't birders!). Pictures of other animals soon.

 
African Darter "Snake Bird"

Lilac-breasted Roller

Saddle-billed Stork

African Fish Eagle

Swallow-tailed Bee-eater

Grey Crowned Crane

Southern Carmine Bee-eater

Lilian's Lovebird

A few comments on the birds. The Kori Bustard, Saddle-billed Stork and Grey Crowned Cranes I have only seen a few of. The first only in Botswana and the other two only in Zambia.  I have been told that the Kori Bustard was a favourite food of the chiefs and was almost extinct before the first president after independence banned the killing of them. Note the yellow saddle on the stork's bill, thus the name. 

The Fish Eagle, Darter and Lilac-breasted Roller are quite common. The darter, a large cormorant, is called a snake bird because of its long neck.  The roller is as common around Macha as the robin is back home, but it's colors are so lovely, especially when in flight with it's royal blue and aquamarine blues shining brightly. You can't help but turn your head. The fish eagle has a distinctive call that often pierces the air especially near rivers.

The Southern Carmine Bee-eaters are probably my favourites. They are migrants who come here to breed. They travel in flocks of thousands and their beautiful red colour is a sight to see in the African sky. They build their nests in riverbanks. This colony was the backdrop for a pride of 21 lions feasting on  a dead baby hippo one morning.

The lovebirds and cranes are new species for me just this past week. The bright green of the lovebirds once again catches your attention in the bright sunlight.

This is all for now. The rains are slowly starting which is cooling off the weather. People are starting to prepare their fields for planting. Hope to post again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment